At the beginning, Futrono or “Land of Smoke” (so-called due to the large clouds of smoke resulting from the fires made by the colonists) was dwelled by the Mapuche-Huilliche, who defended their lands actively for a long time.
In spite of that resistance, Fort Arquilhue was built in the late sixteenth century to shelter the Spanish who arrived in the area. In 1599, it was destroyed after an uprising by the Huilliche group.
Hundreds of years later, after the Guerra de Pacificación (Pacification War), Spanish and German colonists settled down in the area and transformed the environment by cutting down trees, which gave origin to meadows and pastureland where crops could be grown. This way, lumber exploitation -one of the most important natural resources in the region- began.
Thus, Futrono acquired an agroforestry profile and it lured settlers from other areas, especially when the construction of the railway demanded oak sleepers and the local sawmills needed workforce to cover this need.
Decree Law 6973, passed on July 12, 1941, after the developing thrust by Pedro Aguirre Cerda, set forth that the town should become a Comuna and it established its territorial area.
At present, Futrono features an area of 2,120 square kilometers. 60% of its size is covered by very beautiful natural woods that appeal to tourists.
* Document about Cultural Heritage of the District of Futrono – granted by Centro de Negocios de la Comuna.
* Futrono Magazine – An entire southern area to be discovered.