Puerto Octay is a very beautiful town in southern Chile, bathed by the waters of Lake Llamquihue and lying just 53 kilometers away from the City of Osorno. It is part of the Lake District.
Back in 1852, Bernardo Phillipi and Vicente Pérez Rosales started a fruitful colonization process at this location, chosen by German colonists in the years to follow. These immigrants left their imprint on the customs, traditions and architecture of Puerto Octay.
It is said that in 1860, a mill, a distillery and a big store owned by Cristino Ochs were raised in the area. This venue offered all the products demanded by the very few denizens the region of Lake Llanquihue used to have in those days.
Due to the good provision of the store, the slogan of the town was “Donde Ochs hay” (You can find it at Ochs’), which gradually changed into ”Octay”. Ever since, the original name of this site - “Puerto Muñoz Garnero”, after the first man to sail across the lake- was left aside.
It was not until 1891, under the administration of Jorge Montt, that the community of Puerto Octay was created. The best and main constructions in town date back from those days. Almost all of them are made of wood and feature both European and Patagonian styles.
Among the main constructions, the parish church –built in 1911- and the former school run by nuns–raised only two years afterwards- stand out. Another attraction is the chapel built by Professor Nicolás Mayewsky in 1867. He was one of the first colonists in Octay.
For many years now, Puerto Octay has gradually become consolidated as a tourist destination due to its delightful beaches and the chances it offers to practice angling and diverse nautical sports.