According to historians, the first population settled down in the present territory of Raúl Marín Balmaceda in the late XIX century. The main activity was represented by cattle farming but, in spite of having been acknowledged by the Chilean government, it did not remain due to a failure in administration.
Years later, don Juan Bohle Werner arrived in the area with his family and settled down on Los Leones Island. Together with his wife and five children, they worked the land. It was 1936 and he was considered the first colonist in this town.
It was not until 1955 that a new party of colonists arrived. They built their houses and the Land and Colonization Office was inaugurated. After that, the first school, the Civil Registry Office and the Chilean Post Office, which still remain in the district, were created.
At present, the citizens feel a special respect for those first colonists who started the life of what today is called Port Raúl Marín Balmaceda.