According to the settlers, when the city’s benefactor donated the portico, she expressed her wish to be the only one to cross such entrance, which would later be sealed. Whether true or not, when she died, Sara Braun's remains entered the cemetery through the main gate that leads into the chapel, which is the central body of the portico. That gate has not been used ever since and, due to the effects of the passing of time, the corrosion of the iron works ended up turning it useless. Maybe it was the last wish granted to noble Mrs. Braun by her southern lands.
Silence in the Park
The façade was decorated by artist Pascual Borich, who sculpted the crowns and other decoration details.
Its jealously kept park invites visitors to meditation. European cypresses grow on the avenues giving the area an English touch, with open quiet spaces. The mausolea ornamented with various styles and marble and brass terminations and sculptures of forged iron rise in the inner streets.
The most outstanding chapels date back from the first three decades of the XXth century and they belong to the aristocratic families of the region. There rest in peace the remains of the Menéndez-Behetys, the Braun Hamburgers, the Blanchards, the Kusanovics, the Menéndez-Montes and Sara Braun.
Various institutions have also raised their buildings, such as the mutualist societies, the foreign colonies and the Salesian order, whose chapel was designed in 1902 by father Juan Bernabé.
ExtrasPrint this outing
Useful DataBear in mind
far from prejudice and superstition, the cemetery is a historical place very much visited by travelers. It is worth daring to enter and tour around it.