Next to the chapel, the present church of Saint Francis was raised. Its construction began in 1910 and it was in charge of the Italian architect Eduardo Provasoli. Featuring significant dimensions, it occupied an area of 1,300 square meters. This carpentry work was made by craftsmen from Chiloé under the direction of master Salvador Sierpe. The church reflects the influence of its creators, as the Neo-Gothic and Classic design is mingled with the local construction style. The structure is made in native woods, mainly larch, cypress, coigüe and other kinds of woods referred to as “red” by the inhabitants of Chiloé. Its interior is covered in raulí and olivillo with exquisite carpentry works in the arches, altars and the choir, whereas the façade, the roof and the exterior are covered in galvanized iron.
The highest point of this magnificent construction is set by two impressive towers that rise from the façade into the sky, as a clear sign for all members of the congregation who come along to express their religiosity and for all visitors who wish to see this place.
Source: Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales and Universidad de Chile website http://www.iglesiasdechiloe.uchile.cl/
ExtrasPrint this outing